[pass] Setup for multiple password stores

Adam Liter adam.liter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 19:51:35 CET 2016

Hello,

I'm wondering what setup folks use for having multiple password stores,
particularly when one of those password stores is shared between
multiple people.

Currently, I'm using a .git directory inside of ~/.password-store that
has git submodules.

For example, I currently have the following directory structure:

	├─ .password-store
		├─ personal
		└─ collaborative-project

where personal is my personal store of passwords and
collaborative-project contains passwords for a project that I'm working
on with somebody else. Both of these are submodules of the top-level git
directory so that the collaborative-project—but not the
personal—repository can be shared with somebody else via git cloning,
pushing, and pulling from/to a cloud-hosted git repository.

However, this setup causes the automatic git committing that pass does
to break. For example, running:

	pass generate personal/asdf 22

produces:

	fatal: Pathspec '/Users/adamliter/.password-store/personal/asdf.gpg' is
in submodule 'personal'
	The generated password for personal/asdf is:
	py?Je17K6Bfs|Pj at qspgE1

So it does generate the password, but the git commits are not correctly
written.

Currently, I'm just manually committing things myself, but I'm wondering
if there is a better setup or workflow to deal with this sort of
situation.

Thanks!

(And thanks, Jason, for an awesome password manager! :) )

-Adam