[pass] Introducing PyPass, a pass front-end written in Python and QML

Sylvia iamsylvie at openmailbox.org
Sat Jan 23 20:15:19 CET 2016

Hello everyone,

I'd like to introduce PyPass, my pass front-end.

PyPass allows you to quickly select a password as well as run
administrative actions, such as generating passwords, editing them,
moving them and removing them. Because it watches the password list
using inotify, it can safely be used on an automatically syncing pass
directory, such as one shared between several computers using Syncthing
(read: my setup).

PyPass is written in Python and QML and licensed under the GNU GPLv3+.
It is mainly developed on NotABug (
https://notabug.org/SylvieLorxu/PyPass ), but also available on GitHub (
https://github.com/TheLastProject/PyPass ).

It is heavily inspired by GoPass ( https://github.com/cortex/gopass ),
with a few fundamentally different design choices:

- It is written in Python, instead of Go, because I prefer Python.
- It reimplements as little functionality as required, instead opting to
run pass commands and parse the output.
- It has a (reasonable) separation between UI, general logic and
pass-specific logic, making it easier to swap back-end at will (although
currently only pass is supported).

Hopefully this will be of use to anyone. I'd love to hear your feedback!

- Sylvia