[pass] Possible improvements

Matthew Monaco matt at monaco.cx
Mon Jan 25 20:29:33 CET 2016

On 01/25/2016 12:16 PM, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Lenz Weber <mail at lenzw.de
> <mailto:mail at lenzw.de>> wrote:
>
>     I'm not 100% but what you are doing will most likely split up GPG_OPTS that
>     contain spaces into multiple options. If you want to go that way, use functions.
>

> I think that functions in bash cannot return values (except a return status: 0,
> 1, etc.)
> GPG options that contain spaces?! This sounds weird. We can check the manual
> of GPG about it.

Anything on stderr/stdout is a "returned value" in the same sense that the
existing commands work.

gpg doesn't have option names with spaces, but the arguments certainly can. You
need to be careful to preserve them, and arrays in bash are the best way. RE
your other email: "${var[@]}" is perfectly good bash, similar to "$@" but it
only works when written just like that, you can't embed the expansion in a
longer string. So if you try to use aliases you'll likely have the same
syntactical issue.