[pass] Simple password store

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 21:14:11 CET 2016

Hi,

I have started a fork of 'password-store', called 'simple-password-store':
 - https://github.com/dashohoxha/simple-password-store

One of the main changes is the removal of dependency on gpg keys
and on gpg-agent

Another change is that the whole directory is encrypted, instead of
each individual password file.

The git functionality is still there, but it mainly serves as a log
of the history of changes (not to synchronize with remote sites).
Synchronization with a remote site can be done manually with
scp, rsync etc. and its aim is to backup/restore, rather than
sharing with other people.

So, the functionality of sharing passwords with other people is lost.
Also, you cannot use a gpg smartcard for authentication.
Everything else is pretty much the same as with password-store.

I call it 'simple' because it is not as powerfull as password-store
(when you need to share your passwords with other people, etc.)
But you don't have to create and maintain private keys in order to
store your passwords, so hopefully its usage will be simpler.
And I also hope that the code is a bit simpler to understand
(due to removing advanced features and asymmetric encryption).

It also does not use gpg-agent. This means that you have to
give the passphrase each time that you run a command, and
this may be kind of a drawback. However if we run a subshell
inside the script it should be possible to give the passphrase
only once and then  run as many commands as needed.

I mean something like this:

$ pass shell
pass> ls
. . . . .
pass> add Business/cheese-wiz-factory
. . . . .
pass> show Business/cheese-wiz-factory
xyz
pass> show test1/test2
abc
pass> exit
$

I have started it here:
 - https://github.com/dashohoxha/simple-password-store/pull/4

But I need some help with implementing a subshell like this.
Can somebody show me any example like this?

Thanks,
Dashamir

P.s. I hope that you don't mind that I am using the mailing list
of password-store to discuss about simple-password-store,
but they are very much related to each-other, and if there are
any people interested about it, either they are here or nowhere else.