[pass] Provide symbol set as command line argument

Diego Depaoli trebestie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 23:23:11 CET 2016

I agree.
This is not a big issue, but sometimes limited pwgen features are annoying.
Could apg or makepassword bè reliable replacements?

My best regards

Il mar 8 nov 2016 20:55 Michael Hoff <mail at michael-hoff.net> ha scritto:

Hello,

first of all: Really nice project!

I very often encounter the problem that services do not allow all symbols
used by pass/pwgen.
"Your password has to contain at least one of the following symbols '*#_!'"
(e.g. '<' is forbidden)

This does hinder my work-flow as I have to manually adapt the password to
match the criteria.

Straight-forward solution to this problem would be to provide the symbol
set via optional command line argument to the generate command.

Example: pass generate *-s "*#_!"* path/to/password 20

I already checked man page and source code of pwgen. Unfortunately this
feature is not provided out of the box.

I see multiple possible solutions to this:
- Exchange pwgen with apg (possibly massive side-effects)
- Extend pwgen
- Let pass itself convert unwanted symbols generated by pwgen (hacky)

What do you think?

Cheers,
Michael Hoff

--