[pass] Provide symbol set as command line argument

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Fri Nov 11 11:33:36 CET 2016

On 11/11/2016 10:05, Henrik Christian Grove wrote:
>> tr -dc 'A-Za-z0-9!"#$%&'\''()*+,-./:;<=>?@[\]^_`{|}~' </dev/random |
>> >head -c 32 && echo
>> >
> You're absolutely right, I totally missed that first head which is
> totally unneccessary.

Note that if you pipe /dev/random directly into tr like this, you are
likely to consume 4KB or more of random data, which will unnecessarily
deplete your entropy pool, and indeed may block waiting for more
entropy. It's a highly wasteful approach, as entropy is a valuable
resource, and this in turn may impact on the performance of other
cryptographic operations taking place on the machine.

If you are using 'pass' then I suspect you are making passwords to
copy-paste rather than remember and type. Therefore the benefits of
having a larger character set are minimal, when you could just have
longer passwords to achieve the desired level of entropy.

Consider that the base64 set has 64 symbols, and hence 6 bits of entropy
per character. The set in that 'tr' line has 95 symbols, so has 6.57
bits of entropy per character.

So to get a password with 96 bits of entropy, you need a 16-character
base64 password, or a 15-character password from that extended set. I
don't consider the benefit of saving one character to be worthwhile,
especially considering the difficulty of locating some of those
characters on different keyboards, or the fact that many sites may
reject some of those characters (different sites having their own
policies as to which characters are acceptable)

A good-quality 96-bit password can be generated consuming the minimum
amount of system entropy like this (*):

head -c 12 /dev/random | base64

However if you really *do* want to use shorter passwords with more
symbols, then I think it would be better to use a dedicated external
program to generate passwords. The shell is *not* a good general-purpose
programming language.

I think 'pass' should have a simple default, and a configuration setting
to choose an external password generator.

Regards,

Brian.

(*) Some sites insist that your password *must* include at least one
upper case, lower case and digit, and occasionally this formula will
generate a password which doesn't meet those requirements - roughly 1
time in 15.

p(no digits) = ((64-10)/64)^16 = .0659812552
p(no uppercase) = p(no lowercase) = ((64-26)/64)^16 = .0002385931

However there are only two symbols in the base64 set, so if a site
requires at least one symbol then you're quite likely to fail.

p(no symbols) = ((64-2)/64)^16 = .6017103034

I find that in practice, passwords generated like this are fine, and if
very occasionally I have to generate another one, that's not a big deal
- certainly less work than having to configure a program with the rules
for a given site.