Password Mapping

Johannes Marbach johannesmarbach at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 22:16:29 CET 2017

> we really need some kind of FAQ on this - this question is asked about
> once a month.

Sorry for opening this can of worms again. I had searched lists.zx2c4.com
for things like "map" and "mappings" but didn't find any related threads. :(

The fact that this is asked repeatedly maybe shows that it's not as clear
to everyone so maybe it's worth mentioning this on passwordstore.org.

now let's take a look at your threat model. There are three cases:
> 1) someone has access to your git and can see your folder structure.
> 2) someone has access to your harddisk
> 3) someone has access to your system while it is on and can read your
> home directory

2) and 3) were actually not my concern (due to the reasons given in your
response and last week's thread). I was actually worried about 1) though
since backing up and syncing passwords through a remote repository would be
part of my workflow. That being said, it looks like git-remote-gcrypt is a
viable way around this. Thanks, I wasn't aware this existed! :)