pass-otp: A pass extension for managing one-time-password tokens

Tad tadfisher at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 18:42:15 CET 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Thomas Harning Jr. <harningt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Awesome enhancement! One suggestion that I have would be the ability
> to store the OTP in the URI format (ex:
> https://github.com/google/google-authenticator/wiki/Key-Uri-Format )
> ... although looking deeper, I cannot seem to find any other
> references that use it.
>
> The nice bit about the key URI format is that it bundles all the OTP
> details in an optional way with defined defaults and helps keep all
> the OTP details in one place.

That makes a lot of sense. In fact, it should be trivial to append an
otpauth:// URI to any
existing password entry, and to simply match the first occurrence of
such a URL when
decoding.

> I envision that if the parameter format was standardized well, this
> would be a very useful addition to the mobile phone implementations -
> perhaps with a setup where the password was stored AND the OTP
> generator with the option to capture the OTP URI at import / edit time
> (although this is well beyond the scope of this pass extension).

If we store plain URIs, then I'd imagine the standard "pass insert"
functionality would
suffice.

> If I find time, I'll try to track down a useful URI decoder mechanism for bash,

This is the main rub. If people blindly insert something decoded from
a QR image, for
example, decoding could be vulnerable to script injection. Although it
could be useful
to display a warning prompt on insert (which would require one to use
the extension
to insert OTP URIs).

Anyway, I've found this URI parser for Bash:

http://wp.vpalos.com/537/uri-parsing-using-bash-built-in-features/

Does this look reasonable? I can change the extension now, which is
probably a good
idea before too many users insert OTP secrets in the old format.