Generate new password for multiline entries

David A. listmail at cox.net
Sun Jan 29 19:47:07 CET 2017

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 09:21:48 -0700, "Patrick Burroughs (Celti)"
<celti at celti.name> wrote:

>I think there's room in this idea for a `pass rotate` subcommand, that
>will shove the old password down a line, then generate and insert the
>new password.

[I just realized I didn't "reply all" yesterday so my recent replies
only went to the OP]

As someone who stores passwords AND userids in my entries this would
completely break pass for me.  My current convention is the userid
being the second line.  This also breaks from the documented notion
that pass doesn't enforce any specific data structure beyond the
password being the first line and we're free to define our own layouts
to suit our needs.

That said, implementing this as an extension script would be the ideal
way.  Or simply as an external script which wouldn't be very
difficult.