Copy different line (feature proposal)

John Gliksberg jg.trosh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 12:45:18 CEST 2017

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:30:37AM +0000, Utente Utopico wrote:
>Hi, I'm using `pass` from two years and I find a lacking feature: the
>ability to copy a different line of the password's file.
>
>If you run this command, `pass -c foo/bar`, it copies only the first
>line of the file, where there is placed the password. But sometimes I
>add the nickname in the second line, and if I can't remember the it I
>must see the entire file `pass foo/bar`. It would be useful to specify
>what line to copy, as a optional argument (the default is the first
>line), like this example: `pass -c 2 foo/bar` (it copies the second line
>of foo/bar password's file).
>
>It is possibile?

Hello Utente,

I suppose what you ask is possible,
you should just try to implement it
and see if people like using it.
I made something similar a few months ago
but instead of using separate lines
I put the username as the last part of the pass entry (the filename),
and have an option to type that last part and copy the content.
(I didn't touch pass, only passmenu
because it seemed like a good separation of concerns.)

I sent out a patch implementing this here:
https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/password-store/2017-April/002895.html

Don't know if it helps you but I personally find it very useful.
I have had no feedback about the --type-and-copy option.

Best,

John Gliksberg