passmenu: optionally type username as well

Matthew Snider matt.snider at alum.utoronto.ca
Mon Jul 24 17:21:22 CEST 2017

Pierre,

I think that is a cool idea. In my opinion, username/password entry is something passmenu should be able to do. Since people store that information in various formats, it should support the most common ones.

What do you think about this signature:

    passmenu [--type [--userfield fieldname | --passwordfile passwordfile --usernamefile usernamefile] ] [dmenu arguments...]

Here the user would enter something like:

    passmenu --type --passwordfile password --usernamefile username [dmenu arguments...]

Using this invocation, we would want the list of possible selections to only include directories (not the *.gpg files). So, as in your example, the user would be prompted with the following in dmenu:

  *   accounts/google.com
  *   accounts/protonmail.com
  *   social/facebook.com
  *   ...

Instead of:

  *   accounts/google.com/password
  *   accounts/google.com/username
  *   ...

And dmenu would read from the appropriate password/username files.