Generated password has repetition

Simon Lackerbauer simon at lackerbauer.com
Thu May 4 13:48:40 CEST 2017

Repetitions are possible (and even probable, depending on password
length), even with true randomly generated passwords. Passwords without
repetitions *seem* more random to humans, but need not truly be so.

Just think of the casting of a fair die: the output is truly random, yet
sometimes you might get three 6s in a row.

In addition, the newest pass versions do not rely on pwgen anymore, but
directly pull random bits from /dev/urandom.

Cheers,
Simon

On 05/04/2017 01:35 PM, Jens Tröger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that passwords are generated by pwgen, which is considered a strong generator (right?) but today it produced a password with consecutive repetitions: #9d:$_r{""yww4{k?}.i'^P}z
>
> Not sure if this is an issue per se? Can I ignore this in the future?
>
> Thanks,
> Jens
>
> --
> Jens Tröger
> http://savage.light-speed.de/

www.lackerbauer.com
8A86 BD14 1859 44F2 5B83  6908 4B81 EE5D 6A56 A4DE