Generated password has repetition

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Thu May 4 15:16:31 CEST 2017

There is a non-zero probability that a RNG will output the complete works
of Shakespeare.

--
Sent from my telephone.

On May 4, 2017 13:56, "Matthieu Weber" <mweber at free.fr> wrote:

On Thu 04.05.2017 at 09:35:24PM +1000, Jens Tröger wrote:
> I know that passwords are generated by pwgen, which is considered a
> strong generator (right?) but today it produced a password with
> consecutive repetitions: #9d:$_r{""yww4{k?}.i'^P}z

Randomness sometimes generates repetition. If you want to filter out the
passwords with repetitions, you are effectively reducing the number of
possible passwords, therefore making it (slightly) easier to crack.

> Not sure if this is an issue per se? Can I ignore this in the future?

I would say it's not an issue, especially with this long a password as
the one above.

Matthieu
--
 (~._.~)        Matthieu Weber - matthieu at weber.fi.eu.org        (~._.~)