Feature request: Enable use of ZFS datasets and optionally GELI

Kenny Evitt kenny.evitt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 19:51:39 CET 2017

(Don't forget to 'reply all' to keep the thread on the list.)

Those links don't work for me. But I was able to get at least a sense of
what `geli` and `ggatel` are based on some cursory review of Google search
results for those terms. Basically, FreeBSD can encrypt arbitrary
filesystems.

I can't think of what support Pass could have that would be relevant to
these features. What specifically do you want to do with Pass and these
features that you can't currently?

First, being only available on FreeBSD seems pretty limiting. Why would
Pass add features only available on one platform?

Second, why would you want to combine those features with Pass? Or are you
requesting that Pass be modified to (optionally?) make use of the FreeBSD
filesystem encryption features *instead* of using GPG (and any other
extensions available)?

I don't speak for the author and maintainer, but I'd guess this would make
more sense as a Pass-like or Pass-inspired project.

Pass repos are just directories with GPG-encrypted files. (There's some
conventions about what keys should be used to encrypt which files based on
*.gpg-id* files in the root directory or sub-directories.) They can also be
a Git repo for tracking changes. But besides that they're (perfectly?)
independent of any specific filesystem. Would adding support for the
FreeBSD GEOM features change that?