Symlinked files appear every search result

Allan Odgaard lists+pass at simplit.com
Thu Oct 12 15:04:33 CEST 2017

On 12 Oct 2017, at 14:13, Daniel Marks wrote:

> […] when I search for anything those links appear in every search
> result no matter what the search term is.

The issue seems to be with `tree`. The manual says:

	By default, when a symbolic link is encountered,
	the path that the symbolic link refers to is
	printed after the name of the link in the format:

		name -> real-path

	If the `-l' option is given and the symbolic link
	refers to an actual directory, then tree will
	follow the path of the symbolic link as if it were
	a real directory.

The `pass` command uses `--prune` to suppress empty directories, but it
seems to these symbolic links are not pruned.

Interestingly though, without the `-l` option (to follow symbolic links
to folders) then `tree` _will_ omit the symbolic link info.

So as a workaround, you can remove `-l` from the call to `tree`.