Symlinked files appear every search result

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetil.homme at redpill-linpro.com
Mon Oct 16 15:08:58 CEST 2017

Den 12. okt. 2017 15:04, skreiv Allan Odgaard:
> On 12 Oct 2017, at 14:13, Daniel Marks wrote:
>
>     […] when I search for anything those links appear in every search
>     result no matter what the search term is.
>
> The issue seems to be with |tree|. The manual says:
>
> |By default, when a symbolic link is encountered, the path that the
> symbolic link refers to is printed after the name of the link in the
> format: name -> real-path If the `-l' option is given and the symbolic
> link refers to an actual directory, then tree will follow the path of
> the symbolic link as if it were a real directory. |
>
> The |pass| command uses |--prune| to suppress empty directories, but it
> seems to these symbolic links are not pruned.
>
> Interestingly though, without the |-l| option (to follow symbolic links
> to folders) then |tree| /will/ omit the symbolic link info.
>
> So as a workaround, you can remove |-l| from the call to |tree|.

thank you for this research.

I would like to see that change happen upstream.  I don't think the
duplication of output for every path to a named key is useful (the
intended(?) consequence of traversing symlinks to directories), and the
bogus (non-matching) output for file symlinks is just confusing.

--
Kjetil T. Homme
Redpill Linpro - Changing the game