Use password-store with weechat

Tharre tharre3 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 19:09:08 CET 2018

Hi,

On 11/26, pablo1+pass at mailbox.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if someone has found a way to integrate pass in
> weechat.
>
> Weechat's config doesn't allow to sepecify external programs to be
> run. There is a issue on the github page
> (https://github.com/weechat/weechat/issues/141) for this problem, but
> I don't have much hope of it being implemented soon.
>
> Their approach seems to be their own "secure storage", but I would
> like to use pass, since I have everything in there already.
>
> Has someone found a workaround? Any weechat users?
>
> Cheers,
> Pablo

The workaround I use in my dotfiles[0] is simply letting weechat have
it's fancy secure storage and providing the passphrase via pass:

$ WEECHAT_PASSPHRASE="$(pass personal/weechat)" weechat

Then turn the salt off in sec.conf:

[crypt]
salt = off

so weechat doesn't re-salt everything all the time.

It's not pretty, but works very well.

[0] https://github.com/Tharre/dotfiles

Regards,

Tharre

--
PGP fingerprint: 42CE 7698 D6A0 6129 AA16  EF5C 5431 BDE2 C8F0 B2F4