Use password-store with weechat

pablo1+pass at mailbox.org pablo1+pass at mailbox.org
Mon Nov 26 20:43:02 CET 2018

Well, that gets rid of the prompt at login, but does not avoid having
passwords in the weechat config.

Even though it is encrypted with a passphrase, I want to keep all my
passwords in *one* place - pass.

I host my configs in a public dotfiles repo, and would like not to
have to worry about sensitive data being published somewhere. Even
though weechat may be encrypted, it is one extra place you have to
think about how to manage, guard, sync and safely store (another
"attack vector").

Also, I have to get rid of the salt, making the encryption even
weaker. Might be paranoid, but I don't feel confortable pushing
unsalted passwords, encrypted by some application to a public repo.

Also sync and lookup are to extra steps to configure.

Would it be possible to get weechat config strings from environment
variables? i.e. having a FREENODE_PASS var e.g.?

That would at least get rid of the passwords inside weechats
config files, though I don't know if exposing passwords as environment
variables is a good idea, as any application could read them.

Cheers,

Pablo