passmenu: --type-fully

John Gliksberg jg.trosh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 10:16:50 CEST 2019

On Sun, Jul 7, 2019 at 10:47 PM Alexander Weickmann
<alexander.weickmann at link-time.com> wrote:

> Added another flag to passmenu:
>
> --type-fully: will first type the username (whatever is found on second line), then a Tab key, followed by the password,
>    another Tab key and finally a Return key

I attempted addressing the same issue a couple years ago.

Instead of automating the whole thing, I decided to use what seemed
like a reasonable compromise: type the login with xdotool and copy the
password to clipboard. The keyboard interaction ends up being only
barely more complex and it lets you see what's happening without any
strong risk of displaying the password.

I sent a patch over this mailing list but got no reply. I think the
fault might have been because I didn't store my usernames and
passwords both inside the file, but instead I do
"<service>/<username>.gpg" (which is admittedly less secure). I gave
up on patching passmenu updates after a while and started typing
usernames again.

If you move to such a “type and copy” scheme and it ends up being
pulled, I'll probably move all my logins inside the files and starting
using this.

--
John Gliksberg