passmenu: --type-fully

John Gliksberg jg.trosh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 11:48:26 CEST 2019

> In some cases it may be better to share a script that calls pass, rather than try to patch pass itself. This way, everyone may customize it for their own repository layout and unique use case.

If I understand correctly, this is about choosing line2 == username.
TBF, this is a patch to passmenu and not pass, and passmenu already
presumes line1 == pwd, even though pass's manpage shows an example
(“awesome”) multiline password. It does seem reasonable to extend this
logic the way Alexander does.

> The quite amazing rofi-pass does this already with a sensible format: https://github.com/carnager/rofi-pass

Thanks, interesting info. Passmenu still makes sense for dmenu users though.

I'm inserting two proposed patches: my take on Alexander's version but
in a --type-and-copy scheme (I took the liberty of replacing the
--type-fully scheme rather than just extending it, because IMO it
replaces the need for it), followed by a proposal to improve
readability of the passmenu script in general.