MIgrating gpg keys?

Michael Kesper mkesper at schokokeks.org
Mon Nov 4 15:33:55 CET 2019

Hi Andrew,

On 04.11.19 15:17, Andrew Thorp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am in the process of migrating GPG keys, and I couldn't find documentation
> on the best way to go about adding or changing the key used for encryption
> in the pass database. Does anyone have any experience with this?

pass init <new_gpg_ID> will do that.
Be sure to use the ID you get by running
gpg --list-key <email>
as only that will be unique.

For checking, create a temporary gnupg setup containing only your new key
but not the old one and try to decrypt your secrets.
pass itself is a little bit low/level here and doesn't really give you much
support here.

Best wishes
Michael