Help moving pass to new computer

Carl Michael Skog cmskog at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 20:52:45 CEST 2019

Den ons 25 sep. 2019 kl 20:29 skrev Sam Stone <sam at talhoffer.org>:

> Hi All,
>
> My old Gentoo box died. I'm trying to install pass on my new Gentoo box. I
> managed to copy my old home dir to a usb. I can see password-store
> directory and my gnupg directory. gpg --list keys shows the key I used to
> originally  encrypt my password. I have also installed the gnupg package.
>
> I ran pass init passwords at xxxxx.xxx. The new .gpg-id
>
> contains one line with "passwords at xxxxx.xxx". The original.gpg-id file on
> the usb contains the correct hex id of the key. I copied the contents
> orginal .password-store dir into the new one.   When I try to decrypt a
> password I get a "gpg:decryption failed: No secret key" error. I get this
> error regardless of which of the 2 entries are present in the .gpg-id file.
> Every time I've tried to decrypt there has been only .gpg-id entry.
>

> I have tried copying the orginal .gpg-id file to the new .password-store
> dir.
>
> I have tried pass init passwords at xxxxx.xxx.
>

> I have tried pass init hex (in lower case)
>

> I have tried pass init  (in upper case)
>

> All the above result in a No secret key error.
>
> I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious or making a rather simple
> mistake.
>

> I hope I'm not totally fucked.

Did you try:
export GNUPGHOME=/your/usb/drives/path/to/the/old/.gnupg
export PASSWORD_STORE_DIR=/your/usb/drives/path/to/the/old/.password-store
That should mimic you old installation.
If that is working, just plain cp the old stuff(.gnupg and .password-store)
to your new home directory.

Regards,
Carl Michael Skog