Windows implementation of passwordstore in pure batch

Kenny Evitt kenny.evitt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 01:02:20 CET 2020

I just checked the `Ubuntu` app on my Windows box and the output of `uname`
remains `Linux`.

Here are the previous threads from the archives:

 - https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/password-store/2017-July/002987.html
 -
https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/password-store/2017-November/003133.html
 - https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/password-store/2018-January/003164.html
 - https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/password-store/2018-April/003240.html

Here's a GitHub issue (for myself) for this:

 - [Get this merged upstream · Issue #2 · kenny-evitt/password-store-buw](
https://github.com/kenny-evitt/password-store-buw/issues/2)

There are two major issues still:

 1. `uname` in the Windows Ubuntu app still outputs `Linux`.
 2. There's no builtin support for arbitrary data in the Windows clipboard.
Every single possible file/data format would have to be supported
individually (AFAICT). This means only text data, already on the clipboard,
can be restored (after Pass clears a copied password from the clipboard).

For [1], it just occurred to me that maybe there's a way to just add the
Windows clipboard support to the existing `linux.sh` script.

Jason – how do you feel about that?

For [2], maybe there's a relatively simple way to just read and write the
clipboard data as generic binary data.

Jason – would you accept patches for this if this could *only* support
restoring *text* data to the Windows clipboard?