Override pinentry program in a terminal

password-store at storiepvtride.it password-store at storiepvtride.it
Sun May 17 22:36:35 CEST 2020

Am 17.05.20 um 16:19 schrieb Ondřej Synáček:

> Is there some kind of environment variable that could be use for this? I
> tried doing something like `DISPLAY=“” pass -c mypassword` but with no
> luck (I’m on macOS).

Also for me it was interesting to have that work so I checked around for
a solution. Unfortunately there is no proper way [0] to have gpg-agent
use one pinentry or another based on env variables and that is a known
issue [1].
When gpg-agent is started, it can only use *one* version of pinentry.
You can change that but then you have to reload gpg-agent, which is a
bit inconvenient.
I could not think of any workaround...

[0]
https://superuser.com/questions/520980/how-to-force-gpg-to-use-console-mode-pinentry-to-prompt-for-passwords