curious: why use own hosting rather than github?

Erazem Kokot contact at erazem.eu
Thu May 21 13:07:21 CEST 2020

> I think Christian finds the absence of a bug tracker an issue to have a
> global view of the work being done on pass. While many foss projects
> don’t rely on proprietary platforms, some do have a bug tracker like
> Python (https://bugs.python.org), GDB
> (https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/).
>
> PostgreSQL for example, do all development and review in a mailing list
> like you do, but has https://commitfest.postgresql.org/28/ that tells
> you exactly on what people are currently working and what is the status
> of the patches.
>
> While I absolutely appreciate pass a lot, and find this mailing list
> very active and helpful, can you tell what two patches I sent that fixed
> issues that *completely* broke pass on my systems?
>
> A bug tracker (which can be used in foss, even when using cgit) would
> give the answer immediately and I wouldn’t be afraid that those
> patches will be forgotten and stay forever in the mailing list archive
> without being ever committed.

This is also in reply to some previous emails.

I've just recently joined this mailing list, but I'm subscribed to quite
a few others and I think they're great and that there is absolutely no
need to switch to a proprietary platform, since this workflow appears to
work fine.

Regarding a bug tracker, if there is a need for one, Drew DeVault's
Sourcehut[0] might be a good option. It's a whole platform, but it's
very modular, so if needed, only the bug tracker can be used. It is also
available to be self-hosted or be used hosted on sr.ht.

Regards,
Erazem

---
[0] https://sr.ht/ and/or https://sourcehut.org/