curious: why use own hosting rather than github?

J Rt jean.rblt at gmail.com
Thu May 21 14:24:06 CEST 2020

I agree that several things are made a bit more challenging by not
using something 'a la github' (note: I am used to github quite well,
so maybe some of the points I mention here are also doable with the
current solution, but more challenging to find how to do it, at least
to me):

- it is a bit more challenging to search through threads in the
mailing list than through issues IMO. Also, issues can reference to
each other, get closed, assigned tag / responsibles, etc.

- it is a bit more challenging to keep track of the patches etc that
are being proposed, compared with pull requests / feature branches.
More difficult probably for people to build on each other's patch,
rather than contributing on forked repos.

- it is a bit more challenging to 'intermix' code and discussions in
mails than in for example github, i.e., no permalinks for discussion,
etc.

- it may be higher barrier for casual users to report glitches /
challenges, etc. Though this may be as much a blessing as a curse of
course.

In the end, everything is a tradeoff, so the question maybe should be:
what are the pros and cons of each approach? We know github is not
perfect, but what would be actually lost using it? As pointed, people
still will have local copies, it will always be possible to leave if
their policy changes, or other.

Another question is, what do you want as user group for this package /
as casual devs level? Do you want to have an 'elitist' package or
something that more people may get involved in? I guess this is also a
tradeoff.