curious: why use own hosting rather than github?

Erazem Kokot contact at erazem.eu
Fri May 22 10:50:22 CEST 2020

> This is true, but at the same time, this is 'yet another method to
> learn', while nowadays a vast group of users are quite proficient and
> used to github and similar. Using something a la github would take
> away some entry barrier for most user IMO.

Although I understand what you mean, I don't think just because new
users want the contributing process to be similar to what they already
know, that projects would have to change their workflow to suit such
users. This is not a great way to learn for the user and pretty
pointless for the project, since if for example using Sourcehut or
Gitlab, users could still use the same argument of comfort with Github
to try and move the project to Github.

Projects shouldn't be forced to change their workflow to suit a small
minority of the contributors or possible future contributors.
If you were maintaining a project on Github, you wouldn't want users
submitting pull requests over email, so why would it be any better the
other way around.