curious: why use own hosting rather than github?

Amir quoiceehoh-20180826 at yxejamir.net
Mon May 25 13:55:21 CEST 2020

Hi all,

Sounds like this list needs an instance of Patchwork[1] to monitor it, although I do not know who is going to host it. Alternatively, as previously suggested elsewhere on this thread, the entire mailing list could move to [a self-hosted instance of] lists.sr.ht, where patch tracking is integrated into the web archive[2]. As a third option, maybe someone can explore Github Actions that automatically convert PRs to plain-text patches on the mailing list and comment on the PR with a link to the mail archive[3]. (The default Github mail subscription, IIRC, sends patches in attachments, which is less ideal for a mailing list-based review process.)

[1] https://patchwork.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
[2] see live example at https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/sr.ht-dev/patches
[3] all I could find were dead projects that need to be hosted somewhere or run manually by someone: https://github.com/google/pull-request-mailer, https://github.com/rtyley/submitgit

Having said all that, I must say I do not mind if the situation remains as-is. The format of the Pass storage is specified well enough that anyone may create alternative implementations and maintain them whichever way they like. There is no immediate threat that the project and surrounding community will die if only the reference implementation dies.

Regards,
Amir