alias command

Jan Palus jpalus at fastmail.com
Fri Feb 5 12:53:10 UTC 2021

On 06.02.2021 00:42, Steve Gilberd wrote:
> I just use symlinks. Works perfectly, no hassle.
>
> I don't really feel a need to integrate an alias command, considering ln -s
> works just fine already. But I have no objection to that kind of
> abstraction either; I can see why it might appeal.

I'm happy to create symbolic links myself though aliases handled by pass
would have additional benefits:

- one could argue that insert/edit/mv/cp/rm commands are redundant
  because you can just go create files/directories, move or copy them.
  it's simply more convenient to have dedicated command

- while it could create symbolic links at first, it might as well change
  behavior later on to ie support systems without symbolic links,
  however for user change would be transparent

- in case `alias` implementation changes it could also handle migration
  process again transparently for the end user