alias command

David Izquierdo david at izquierdofernandez.com
Thu Feb 11 17:05:35 UTC 2021

On 11/02/2021 17:31, Henrik Christian Grove wrote:
> Den 05.02.2021 kl. 13.19 skrev Jan Palus:

>>> I should probably mention that having the same credentials for multiple
>>> accounts is not recommended.
>
> That was also my first thought when I read the question.
>
> But what you're doing seems to be different, and a legitimate usecase
> for this (I do fear that adding an alias feature would make people use
> it the wrong way.

I wonder how many people can survive the dissonance of using a password
manager to store the same password for every website. Like, it sounds
hard to be aware of what a password manager is for and, at the same
time, not be aware that password reuse is a bad practice?

>> I do use different credentials for _different_ accounts, but actually
>> described use case is for _single_ account. Same account store is used
>> by multiple domains within an organization.
>
> A solution could then be to store the password under some common name
> describing the account/first use/some common name (perhaps mentioning -
> some of - the users, in parentheses/brackets/whatever suits you).
>
> For instance I found out that two webshops I occasionally bought stuff
> from, were actually frontends for the same company and shared accounts,
> so that password is stored in a file called
> '<company>_(<webshop1>)_(<webshop2>)'. (Even though it's *one* company
> there is a difference in which products the webshops offers)
> I think the same company has more webshops, if I ever need to use those
> I'll have to rename the file - or live with it - and continually
> appending to the filename does scale very well.

I do a similar thing for my job. Single account managed from a central
directory is used to login to several services on different domains and
URLs. Simplest way to tell helper scripts to use the same passwords is
to symlink files a bunch.

It feels to me that `pass ln` is almost a natural thing to try if you
know about `pass cp`, `ls`, `mv` and `rm` too, and those also are simply
convenience wrappers over the actual command and git.