alias command

Henrik Christian Grove passwordstore at 3001.dk
Thu Feb 11 16:31:32 UTC 2021

Den 05.02.2021 kl. 13.19 skrev Jan Palus:
> On 05.02.2021 13:08, jman wrote:
>> Jan Palus <jpalus at fastmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was wondering how to manage same credentials for different websites
>>> so that password is changed only once for all of them
>> I should probably mention that having the same credentials for multiple
>> accounts is not recommended.

That was also my first thought when I read the question.

But what you're doing seems to be different, and a legitimate usecase
for this (I do fear that adding an alias feature would make people use
it the wrong way.

> I do use different credentials for _different_ accounts, but actually
> described use case is for _single_ account. Same account store is used
> by multiple domains within an organization.

A solution could then be to store the password under some common name
describing the account/first use/some common name (perhaps mentioning -
some of - the users, in parentheses/brackets/whatever suits you).

For instance I found out that two webshops I occasionally bought stuff
from, were actually frontends for the same company and shared accounts,
so that password is stored in a file called
'<company>_(<webshop1>)_(<webshop2>)'. (Even though it's *one* company
there is a difference in which products the webshops offers)
I think the same company has more webshops, if I ever need to use those
I'll have to rename the file - or live with it - and continually
appending to the filename does scale very well.

.Henrik