Substituting gpg program in pass

Wiktor Kwapisiewicz wiktor at metacode.biz
Mon Mar 1 13:28:38 UTC 2021

Hello pass folks,

I'm writing a small application that encrypts and decrypts OpenPGP data
using TPMs and would like to instruct pass to use it instead of the
default gpg / gpg2.

I see that pass already has logic to use either gpg or gpg2 if available:

https://git.zx2c4.com/password-store/tree/src/password-store.sh?id=07b169ec32ad6961ed8625a0b932a663abcb01d2#n10

But I'm thinking of something like the "gpg.program" config variable [0]
that git uses. It can be used to point to a different binary that has
the same command line interface as GnuPG and this binary is then used
for signing and verification.

[0]:
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-config#Documentation/git-config.txt-gpgprogram

Another use case would be using other wrapper scripts in the wild such
as Qubes' Split GPG [1].

[1]: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/split-gpg/

If currently there is no way to do that but this feature sounds like
something that fits pass I could contribute a patch to add it.

Thank you for your time!

Kind regards,
Wiktor