[PROPOSAL] Fallback if extension not in PASSWORD_STORE_EXTENSIONS_DIR.

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Sun Dec 17 19:22:06 UTC 2023

In current 'pass' [1], if the PASSWORD_STORE_EXTENSIONS_DIR
environment variable is set, then pass won't look in
~/.password-store/.extensions/ for extensions at all.

Is that the desired behavior?

Here is the behavior that I expected instead:

If the env var is set, then pass would look for EXT_NAME.bash in
${PASSWORD_STORE_EXTENSIONS_DIR} first.  But if the extension is
not there (or if the directory doesn't exist at all), then pass
would *next* try ~/.password-store/.extensions/EXT_NAME.bash
(which is what pass defaults to if PASSWORD_STORE_EXTENSIONS_DIR
is unset in the first place).

I'd be happy to submit a patch to implement this behavior.  But
first I wanted to ask if there would even be interest in such a
patch.

Thoughts?

Best regards,
-Karl