[PROPOSAL] Fallback if extension not in PASSWORD_STORE_EXTENSIONS_DIR.

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Sun Dec 17 22:45:52 UTC 2023

On 17 Dec 2023, HacKan || Iván wrote:
>Yes, that is the desired behavior. The env replaces entirely the
>defaults, they are not additive.

(Quoting Iván's accidentally-private reply with permission.)

Thanks for this information.

If there is already a consensus that this is the right behavior,
then so be it.  However, if the behavior might be reconsidered,
then I'd like to propose such a reconsideration.

Many programs behave the other way: an extension can be installed
in a user-specific location or in a system location or both, and
the user-specific location always shadows the system location.

That is, if extension X exists in the user-specific location, then
X is loaded from there.  Even if X also exists in the system
location, it is ignored there.  This makes it easy for someone to
try out a newer version, or their development version, of an
extension, for example.

I *think* it's somewhat unusual for a program to have the "fully
replace the default extension folder" behavior that 'pass'
currently has.  (Though this is anecdotal -- I haven't done a
formal survey; I'm just relying on my own experience.)  I'm not
sure what the advantage(s) of the current 'pass' way are, but of
course it's possible that there are advantages that I'm just not
thinking of.

Best regards,
-Karl