Changing encryption backend (discussion)

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetil.homme at redpill-linpro.com
Thu Jan 19 15:13:37 UTC 2023

Den 19/01/2023 10:36, skreiv pass-maillinglist at artursterz.de:
>>> the other day I was thinking about whether it might be time to
>>> replace GPG with another backend. age [1]
>>
>> Even if Pass were to support Age as an alternate backend, why replace
>> GPG? None of the reasons given is compelling enough for those already
>> using GPG to switch.
>
> Sure, if you are happy using GPG, why switch to age?
> If you are happy using OpenVPN, why switch to WireGuard?
> If you are happy using $OLD_CLUNKY_SOFTWARE_WITH_BAD_UX, why switch to a more modern approach?
>
> But this is a philosophical discussion, won’t continue it here.

as far as I can tell, age(1) has absolutely no concept which can replace
web-of-trust (key management in general is ad-hoc), so at this time it
is not really appropriate as a PGP replacement.

let's hope they add key management in version 2, then I'll take another
look.

--
Kjetil T. Homme
Redpill Linpro - Changing the game