Resolve .gpg-id files must end in a newline to be recognized

Richard Sent richard at freakingpenguin.com
Sat Jun 1 23:51:34 UTC 2024

Hi Reto!

Reto <reto at labrat.space> writes:

> No they are supposed to use the corresponding `pass init` command.
> That this happens to be a file on disc in the store is an implementation detail.
> pass(1):
>
>> init [ --path=sub-folder, -p sub-folder ] gpg-id...
>> [...]
>> --path or -p is specified, along with an argument, a specific gpg-id or set of gpg-ids
>> is assigned for that specific sub folder of the password store. If only one gpg-id is given,
>> and it is an empty string, then the current .gpg-id file for
>> [...]
>

> If you mess with implementation details it's on you to do it correctly ;)

That's fair! My mistake for missing the mention of subfolders. :) I
still believe basic error handling is appropriate here.

On a related note, the manual seems to treat sub-folder, sub folder,
subfolder, and sub directory interchangeably. Should we standardize on
just one for consistency?

> init
>    ...If --path or -p is specified, along with an argument, a specific
>    gpg-id or set of gpg-ids is assigned for that specific sub folder of
>    the password store. If only one gpg-id is given, and it is an empty
>    string, then the current .gpg-id file for the specified sub-folder
>
> ls subfolder
>    List names of passwords inside the tree at subfolder by using the
>    tree(1) program. This command is alternatively named list.

> ~/.password-store/.gpg-id
>    ... If this file exists in any sub directories, passwords inside
>    those sub directories are encrypted using those keys. This should
>    be set using the init command.

Hey what do you know it mentions the init command here ^ too oops.

--
Take it easy,
Richard Sent