[PhotoFloat] towards a 1.0 release and patch merges

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at orangeseeds.org
Thu Jan 23 02:38:27 CET 2014

Hi!

It seems we have a few patches in the queue, without any feedback so
far. It's a little frustrating for me, but I figured it would be better
for me to act on it rather than complain, so here's what I think we
should do.

Since I use this on a weekly basis, I would be ready to coordinate patch
review a little and publish "releases" (tags in a git repo, big deal :)
frequently, based on semver.org logical principals of major/minor/patch
releases.

I would start by laying down a 0.1.0 tag on the current tree from Jason,
then build from there towards a 1.0.0 release which would feature:

 * HTML5 videos
 * RSS feeds
 * multiple galleries <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-June/000001.html>
 * privacy / authentication <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-October/000018.html>
 * tag support <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-June/000005.html>
 * photo preloading <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-October/000020.html>
 * threading support <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-October/000023.html>
 * bugfixing, esp. unicode oddities <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2014-January/000029.html>
 * debian package (oh i forgot, we already have that :)
 * distutils distribution <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-June/000009.html>
 * pypi releases
 * more intuitive interface <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-June/000007.html>
 * sample cronjob
 * inotify daemons
 * and more!

Sky is the limits folks! I'm ready for anything, I think this is great
project and just needs a little kick in the behind to become a really
awesome project. I won't write all of this myself, but I already have a
few patches in the "queue", and I know others here also have such ideas
and patches floating around. I put some of those patches above, others
are ideas or unreleased patches.

This could be hosted on github, as a lowest common denominator if we
can't get push access on Jason's git repo or if things keep on
stalling. I'd be fine with being the custodian of such a project. I have
a long experience in release engineering and I'd be happy to grant
people access. :)

Jason, what do you think?

Others, opinions?

A.

--
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed
by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes