scan.py to seek modifications in folders + accelerate convertion script

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Mon Aug 6 15:22:09 CEST 2018

Hi Carlos,

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 3:54 AM Carlos Aguni <sorlaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> First:
> If I have a folder named "album/trip/nyc" which I've already ran ./scan.py on it.
> If I add some more photos or a directory containing more pictures to that album/trip/nyc folder ./scan.py will ignore that folder maybe because it already scanned it before.
> So question is: Is it expected? When altering the photos am I to build the entire collection again?

It's supposed to be smart and detect which are changed and only rescan
the new ones. I wonder why this isn't working for you. Are you
operating atop a strange filesystem?

> Second:
> I have many albums of about 100GB total and the ./scan.py is running for about 7 hours so far..
> So question is: Is there a way to accelerate it? Depending on the first question's answer it would be unviable to keep rebuilding it every time I update something.

It's slow because the python imaging library is slow. I could probably
replace that backend out with something else to speed it up a bunch,
and maybe even parallelize the whole thing...

Jason