Multicast over a wireguard link?

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Tue Dec 20 19:19:03 CET 2016

"Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason at zx2c4.com> writes:

> Hi Toke,
>
> Right now, no, there's no multicast. But it wouldn't be that hard to
> add the ability to add the same allowed-ips entry to multiple peers,
> and have WireGuard duplicate the message to all of them.

The multicast destination address is known, so that should work. Would
also serve as a kind of ACL, I guess.

> It's not complicated in theory, but I wonder if this would be
> genuinely useful, and whether or not it'd open up a wormhole of
> potential issues.

Well, I would certainly limit it to multicast addresses. But other than
that it sounds like an excellent idea.

Can wireguard handle routed traffic to an endpoint. I.e. if endpoint A
has address 10.0.0.1/32 and endpoint B has a route 'ip route add
10.10.10.1/24 via 10.0.0.1 dev wg0', would the traffic go where it's
supposed to?

-Toke