[WireGuard] The Distro Package Maintainers Thread

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Wed Jul 13 16:29:34 CEST 2016

On Jul 12, 2016 5:27 PM, "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4 at gentoo.org> wrote:
> That's a good point. Alright, that seems sufficient motivation for me
> to construct a good automated test harness.

So I briefly thought about this and made some infrastructure changes. The
demo.wireguard.io box is now infrastructure stable enough for use in
automated test suites. So, as a first run at an automated test, these
things could happen:

1. dpkg -i path/to/pkgs
2. Set up a wireguard tunnel to the demo box.
3. ping -c 1 the demo box through the tunnel and see if it reports success.
4. remove the wireguard tunnel.

If these succeed, it passes.

Now (2) is a subtle point. It's not a good idea to use the private key in
the contrib/external-tests/ because it's possible somebody else will be
using it. (As a general rule, private keys should never be shared or leave
the box on which they were generated.) Alternatively, the ncat client.sh
can be used to provision things dynamically. Or, you could generate a
private key that remains private on debian infrastructure, and send me the
public key. I'm okay with either.

However, it might be easiest to simply use network namespaces and run all
this locally. I'm about to take an airplane; I'll create a 'make test' that
does this. Then you could just incorporate calling that into your build
system; would that work for you?