[WireGuard] Seeking Ubuntu PPA Maintainer

Egbert Verhage egbert at eggiecode.org
Wed Nov 16 01:34:12 CET 2016

On 2016-11-16 01:12, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hey Egbert,
>
> Great to see! How much does this deviate from debian's? As far as I
> can tell, you should be able to keep things basically the same.
I just copyed the debian folder of the experimental package of the
debian repo.
Left all the copyrights intact and added my name.
> This isn't okay. Downstream packages really shouldn't be applying
> patches like that. If you revert that, I can list this as the primary
> PPA for WireGuard. With that said, let's actually try to fix this
> issue for good...
Can't agree more, but I wanted to test it and deploy it with ansible,
that was the simplest solution.
> AVX2 is advertised through CPUID. Is it possible that your VPS passes
> through the CPUID from the host while not supporting all instructions?
> Or perhaps, rather, fakes a CPUID that isn't the host's, while only
> supporting instructions of the host? Very mysterious. What hosting
> company is this? Is there a chance I can poke around at this setup? Do
> you know if it's KVM or Xen or VMWare or something else?
It is hosted at PCexterme, dutch company. Cheap and good service. The
use KVM with CloudStack on top of it.
I mailed/called with one of the sys admins and discussed with him about
the problem in the AVX2 extention.
He told me that they disabled AVX already because of the raid 6 system.
It crashes the whole KVM host.

Can give you a vps if you want to. Just 3 euro the month.
> If it turns out that your VPS host just does something horrible, I'll
> look for a way to globally disable kernel usage of AVX2, without
> having to patch WireGuard like that.
If I can found the kernel parmameter for that, I will.
> If it's particular to the host,
> perhaps we can come up with either a particular kernel module to do
> the disabling, or some ungodly hack to /dev/kmem...
You are going above my intellect of the kernel at this point.
>  Are you compiling
> your own kernel for this system, or just using stock Ubuntu kernel?
No not yet. I was planning on this email to tell your my ppa / kernel
problem.
> I'm pretty sure, by the way, that we're using the right detection
> function within WireGuard, seeing as every other place in the tree
> uses the same thing:
* lib/raid6/avx2.c
* 36:     return boot_cpu_has(X86_FEATURE_AVX2) &&
boot_cpu_has(X86_FEATURE_AVX);
I think I'm going to mail/call the hosting company again.
> Thanks a bunch for helping out.
You to with this great this VPN.