[WireGuard] Seeking Ubuntu PPA Maintainer

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Wed Nov 16 02:31:13 CET 2016

Hey Egbert,

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 1:34 AM, Egbert Verhage <egbert at eggiecode.org> wrote:
> I mailed/called with one of the sys admins and discussed with him about the
> problem in the AVX2 extention.
> I think I'm going to mail/call the hosting company again.

It seems like the crux of the issue is that if they disable AVX2
instructions, they need to make this known in the CPUID. Otherwise the
operating system will assume it's there when it isn't.

> Can give you a vps if you want to. Just 3 euro the month.

See the attached tarball. Compile the kernel module in there and load
it BEFORE WireGuard. You might have to manually unload wireguard for
this to work: "rmmod wireguard && insmod ./avx2disabler.ko && modprobe
wireguard", for example. It should disable avx2 inside the kernel,
solving the issue.