Issue, WireGuard on a PaX kernel

Samuel Holland samuel at sholland.org
Sun Apr 23 21:19:45 CEST 2017

Hello,

On 04/23/17 09:53, saeidscorp wrote:
> I've been having troubles using WireGuard on Gentoo hardened/PaX
> kernel. I have set up WireGuard on regular kernels several times, but
> on a PaX kernel it causes the kernel to panic.
>
> All steps of interface addition and configuration using wg tool work
> well, but as soon as the first packet goes through the interface, it
> crashes the whole system.

You didn't mention your kernel version, so I assume you're using the
latest stable hardened-sources. The panic is a known issue for 4.8,
caused by a combination of bugs in the upstream kernel and the
grsecurity patch. You can resolve it by either downgrading to 4.7 or
upgrading to 4.9.

See this thread[0] for more information.

Regards,
Samuel

[0] https://www.mail-archive.com/wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com/msg00385.html