Fixing wg-quick's DNS= directive with a hatchet

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Fri Oct 27 00:19:27 CEST 2017

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 11:53 PM, Geo Kozey <geokozey at mailfence.com> wrote:
> No, with fixed resolv.conf pointing to local namserver only there would be no DNS resolution as your cache has to come from somewhere. I'm talking specifically about local nameserver without external connectivity but I think users may want to use their own static nameservers with dynamic one which they get from wg for whatever reason. Having to chose one over another as only possibility isn't best solution IMO.

Usually people who do this usually point their cache toward the remote
tunneled nameserver, via, say, dnsmasq's -S option. Some people do
indeed enjoy multiple entries in their resolv.conf and rely on this
generally buggy behavior, which means you could make an argument that
I shouldn't be using openresolv's "-x" option, and maybe you'd have a
case. But I don't care for nobs, and those powerusers probably don't
want wg-quick anyway or can just use PostUp.

In any case, this is a different issue from what this thread is trying
to determine, so if you'd like to bikeshed -x vs -m and options and
whatnot in openresolv, please do so on an entirely different thread
with a different subject.