Host routes – ARP on wireguard interfaces?

Matthias Urlichs matthias at urlichs.de
Mon Dec 3 13:02:12 CET 2018

Hi,

My problem: I have a couple of host routes within my network that point
to a service's "current master". When that machine goes down, I need to
automatically redirect its address to a different gateway. That's easy –
lookup the nexthop for the "real" server address and change the host
route – except when the destination is on wireguard and needs to be
(re)directed to a (different) peer.

My preferred solution for this (and also the one that is most intuitive
IMHO) would be some sort of pseudo-ARP – just enough to make "ip route
add FOO via BAR" work, 'BAR' being a host address that's associated with
exactly one wireguard peer.

Thoughts?

--
-- Matthias Urlichs