receive: use gro call instead of plain call

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Fri Jul 13 18:15:26 CEST 2018

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:49:45 -0500
Lonnie Abelbeck <lists at lonnie.abelbeck.com> wrote:

> For certain lower-end x86 boxes I test, I noticed WG 0.0.20180708 w/NAPI actually slowed down receive performance.
>
> Jason recently added "receive: use gro call instead of plain call" [1] commit, which made a big performance improvement.

Yes I'm also seeing about 20% higher performance with this patch (from 1.3-1.4
to 1.6 Gbit on same-host VMs). This is awesome!

...and... if I switch TCP Congestion Control from bbr to illinois on sender, I
now get 2.0 Gbit. WTF. :)

Lonnie, which one do you use on your hosts? Try with illinois (it was the best
choice among all of them from my tests before bbr) and bbr (this one tends to
get a bit lower speeds overall, but ramps up so much faster at the start).

--
With respect,
Roman