receive: use gro call instead of plain call

Lonnie Abelbeck lists at lonnie.abelbeck.com
Fri Jul 13 20:06:17 CEST 2018

> On Jul 13, 2018, at 11:15 AM, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.net> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:49:45 -0500
> Lonnie Abelbeck <lists at lonnie.abelbeck.com> wrote:
>
>> For certain lower-end x86 boxes I test, I noticed WG 0.0.20180708 w/NAPI actually slowed down receive performance.
>>
>> Jason recently added "receive: use gro call instead of plain call" [1] commit, which made a big performance improvement.
>
> Yes I'm also seeing about 20% higher performance with this patch (from 1.3-1.4
> to 1.6 Gbit on same-host VMs). This is awesome!

Hi Roman, thanks for the followup ...

> ...and... if I switch TCP Congestion Control from bbr to illinois on sender, I
> now get 2.0 Gbit. WTF. :)

> Lonnie, which one do you use on your hosts?

We are using Linux 3.16.57 and CONFIG_TCP_CONG_ADVANCED=n, so standard stuff ...

pbx ~ # sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_available_congestion_control
net.ipv4.tcp_available_congestion_control = cubic reno

pbx ~ # sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control
net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control = cubic

Lonnie