Openbsd update recommendation

Jungle Boogie jungleboogie0 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 09:08:12 CEST 2018

Hi Jason,
On Sat 02 Jun 2018  5:15 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hey Jungle,
>
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 1:26 AM, jungle Boogie <jungleboogie0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > For openBSD instructions here:
> > https://www.wireguard.com/install/#packages
> >
> > Curl is not apart of base, so you can either assume the users have
> > curl installed, or use ftp(1) in the example. If you're doing the
> > latter, you'll need a pkg_add to also include curl.
> >
> > https://man.openbsd.org/ftp.1
>
> I love how OpenBSD commands keep evolving over time. Thanks for the
> suggestion. I've updated the page.

Yeah, the ftp command from way back is different on Linux than on openBSD. It
can still do the plain ol' ftp connections, though. ;)

> > Also, I already have a go path setup. How do I get around this?
> >
> > cd .gopath/src/git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-go && dep ensure -vendor-only -v
> > /usr/src/wireguard/wireguard-go-0.0.20180531 is not within a known GOPATH/src
> > gmake: *** [Makefile:33: vendor/.created] Error 1
> > gmake: Leaving directory '/usr/src/wireguard/wireguard-go-0.0.20180531'
>
> Somebody mentioned this on IRC the other day (maybe you?), but I
> didn't figure out what was going on then. I just now triaged the
> issue: in ksh(1), before exec'ing a new process, it resolves all
> symlinks of pwd. Try for yourself:
>
> # ksh
> # mkdir a
> # ln -s a b
> # cd b
> # ksh -c pwd
> /root/a
>
> That's pretty weird behavior, but maybe there's an interesting reason
> for it; I'll poke around tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

Interesting behavior. I don't know the reason behind it, though.

> In any case, I've worked around it now in the install script and
> tested on a fresh OpenBSD 6.3 install, so you should now be able to
> run:
>
> # ftp -o - https://xn--4db.cc/IKuBc62Z | sh
>
> Let me know how it goes, and thanks for the report.

It went great! I was able to install wireguard on two amd64 arch platform
machines.

I do still see this in the install file:
curl -sLO "$URI_KMODTOOLS"
curl -sLO "$URI_GO"

I'd still recommend adding curl to the pkg_add section for fewer errors during
install.

The process for getting the tunnel working on openBSD is similar to linux, but
the interface is tun and starts with tun0.

Once I'm more confident with the steps, I'll write something up.

> Regards,
> Jason

Thanks,
j.b.