Allowed IPs Toggling

Steve Gilberd steve at erayd.net
Thu Mar 15 19:39:59 CET 2018

> Allowed IPs is like a routing table; you can't have two routes for the
same set of IPs

If this is the case, then wireguard does not have proper routing support.

Normally, routing tables allow both multiple and overlapping routes
present. When making routing decisions, the most-specific route is chosen
(e.g. a /29 is higher priority than a /24 which overlaps with it). If there
are two identical routes of the same size, then the one with the lowest
routing metric is used.

I can understand not allowing identical routes of the same size, as
wireguard doesn't really have a concept of metric (although it could be
useful for backup links). However, it really should allow overlapping
routes of different sizes. There's no ambiguity with routing decisions, and
it's a standard feature that I would normally expect any IP routing stack
to have.

Cheers,
Steve

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018, 04:57 Samuel Holland, <samuel at sholland.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 03/15/18 10:31, Gianluca Gabrielli wrote:
> > I was setting two peers on the server, but every time I re-add one of
> these
> > two the other one is shown with (none) on "allowed ips" field. Of course
> that
> > blocks communications with that peer. If I try to re-add it, then the
> other
> > peer loses its configuration, same problem.
>
> Allowed IPs is like a routing table; you can't have two routes for the
> same set
> of IPs, or WireGuard doesn't know which peer to send the traffic to. You
> want to
> have non-overlapping Allowed IP ranges. This usually means that the range
> of
> Allowed IPs is smaller than the host's subnet. For example:
>
> Host A:
> IP configuration for WireGuard interface: 192.168.123.1/24
> Allowed IPs for Host B: 192.168.123.2/32
>
> Host B:
> IP configuration for WireGuard interface: 192.168.123.2/24
> Allowed IPs for Host A: 192.168.123.1/32
>
> The IP configuration tells the kernel which IP ranges are accessible via
> the
> WireGuard interface. The Allowed IPs tell WireGuard, which _subset_ of
> those IPs
> is associated with each peer.
>
> > Cheers,
> > Gianluca
>
> Cheers,
> Samuel

Cheers,

*Steve Gilberd*
Erayd LTD *·* Consultant
*Phone: +64 4 974-4229 **·** Mob: +64 27 565-3237*
*PO Box 10019 The Terrace, Wellington 6143, NZ*