Allowed IPs Toggling

Tim Sedlmeyer tim at sedlmeyer.org
Fri Mar 16 03:12:25 CET 2018

Allowed-ips plays a variety of roles which at different times can be
mapped to several traditional network roles but one it doesn't really
play the role of routing table. Instead they act as a forwarding
information base for the wireguard interface matching ip addresses to
peers. Wireguard then makes forwarding not routing decisions based
upon this "FIB". Since it is acting as a FIB at any given time it can
contain only a single destination for any given entry.

If you want support for things like equal cost multipath (something
that will never be possible over peers on the same interface), route
failover and metric weighted routing than a routing process must get
involved to make the routing decisions, populate the routing table and
then manage entries in the "FIB" based upon the routing table. As it
stands today there are not, at least not readily publicly available,
any routing processes which can interact with WireGuard to do so. This
is why today to do any sort of dynamic routing with wireguard the
peers involved need to be assigned to different interfaces and
allowed-ips on them set to 0.0.0.0/0 or the total subset of ip
addresses which might ever traverse a peer under any routing
situation. Existing routing processes can then just treat them as
traditional interfaces and not worry about updating the "FIB".